Thread: Aeromomentum (Suzuki) Engines

Aeromomentum (Suzuki) Engines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWOj5_0DoQI

Another choice out there for those who are interested in auto conversions.
    Scott
    Student at KFLV
    Wanna-be builder

I spoke a few days ago with Mark, the owner of AeroMomentum engines.

I have to say that I had a very good impression of him as a person, but also regarding his products.
    He said that he has been selling these engine for over 10 years to jet- and airboat customers. Most of them permanently run their engines full throttle.
    The highest time engine accumulated over 4,000 hours without any issues, in a permanent full-throttle fishing net towing application. When the engine needed replacing, mainly due to poor maintenance, they even continued to use the original transmission. Very impressive, particularly considering that he is promoting his engines with a TBO of only 1,500 hrs.

I also liked that the AM15 engine, which is available with 117, 131 and 147 hp, is only slightly heavier than a 100 hp Rotax 912, but over 30 pounds (!!) lighter than the Viking 130.

I additionally felt that he knew what he was talking about and that solid engineering and validation went into his engines. Mark mentioned, that every(!) engine runs on the test bench before delivery and that only brand new components are being used.

I would still feel the most comfortable with an old fashioned Rotax 912ULS or a Jabiru 3300. Cost, power, weight and fuel consumption however make the AM15 very tempting.

Oliver

Edit:
    I had another discussion with Mark. The engine is almost 40 lbs lighter than the Viking and is does not need a header tank. Mark actually advices against using one. I would assume that a header tank plus the hoses and valves associated with it, weight somewhere between 10 and 20 lbs, what makes an AeroMomentum installation at least 50 lbs lighter than a Viking 130.

It also comes in a very complete package, including a small engine monitor and a cabin heater. A propeller and a spinner are however not included in the FWF package.

Finally, I learned that the power ratings on their website tell only half the story. While the standard version indeed makes 117 hp @ 5800 rpm, it also makes 132 hp @ 6500 rpm, similar to the Viking.
    The beefed up version makes, as indicated on their website, 131 hp @ 5800 rpm and 147 hp @ 6500.
    All engines are delivered with a dynamometer print out with the individual engine's torque and power curve. Pretty impressive.
    Last edited by Oliver; 07-03-2017 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added information, see section "Edit"
    Our Zenith builder's blog
    Mooney M20E - Flying
    Van's RV-10 - Empennage finished, will be put on hold for Zenith
    Zenith CH 750 Cruzer /w STOL gear - Tailfeathers done, working on fuselage kit

Mark, the owner of AeroMomentum engines told me that they are currently running an Oshkosh special: $500 discount + free shipping to the lower 48 states!
    Mooney M20E - Flying

I can't believe that we finally decided on an engine: We ordered an Aeromomentum AM15!

We decided to go with the standard 117 / 132 hp version, as we didn't feel like spending another $3,500 for the additional 14 horses the beefed up version would provide. Another reason was, that the more powerful version contains custom made pistons and some other modifications. If we ever need spare parts, they will probably be easier to obtain for the stock version.

The main reasons to choose Aeromomentum were the relatively low weight, good power, that they have been selling their engines for over 10 years to airboat customers, the attractive price and the very good impression I had of Mark, the owner. He always responded fast and detailed to my e-mail and was very patient and friendly on the phone. When I met him and Lilli, the lady who is handling the sales, at Airventure, my good impression was confirmed: Super friendly, humble and (we felt) honest.

They are still working on the firewall forward kit, we agreed to be Beta customers. We expect to receive the firewall forward kit, minus the cowling, in September. The engine is supposed to be delivered in October, the cowling towards the end of the year.

Very exciting!
    Mooney M20E - Flying

Looking forward to some updates this fall on your engine installation! :-)
    Scott
    Student at KFLV
    Wanna-be builder

Did you get your engine installed Oliver?
    Scott
    Student at KFLV
    Wanna-be builder

Hello Scott,

Not yet. The engine was finished just before Christmas, but we were gone over the Holidays. I actually heard it running. Pretty exciting!

One minor thing, though, the engine mount is apparently still not perfectly right. I understand that the engine attachment points are not exactly per spec, what makes it hard to tighten the bolts. Mark still wants to send it to us, so that we can see if it generally fits. We will later get another one, which is in accordance with the design.

I am seriously impressed by Mark's business ethics, as he still could have sold us the mount: It works, just not exactly a designed. Since we agreed to be the CH750 beta testers, we'll gladly give mount #1 a try. The correct mount will already arrive shortly after.

When I told him, that I actually do not yet have use for the engine, if I would later have to replace the mount again and that we are also not far enough with our build, he immediately suggested that he can keep it in his shop until we need it.

He furthermore suggested, that we will then also not need the parts of the firewall forward kit, which will be bolted to the engine and that we therefore also do not yet have to pay for them!

I have a really good feeling about working with AeroMomentum and hope that the engine will be just as good.

We send him yesterday a check for the fwf components and should be ready for the engine by March.

Oliver
    Mooney M20E - Flying