Thread: Updating the hangar...

Updating the hangar...

I've been wanting to make my hangar into a military themed "man cave" for a while and decided to get it started. Originally my plan was just to install those 4x8 sheets of fake brick on this wall with the TV. I thought I'd put up the brick and then hang some nice WWII themed metal signs, and maybe a shelf with a mahogany bomber or something.

So I moved everything away from the wall to get it ready. Once I did that, I went around the corner and took a good look at the kitchen...

The kitchen actually looks pretty nice in this photo, but the cabinets are really cheap, and they did a terrible job of installing the countertop. I starting thinking of how I could make it so much better. So, I started ripping it out...

Now I have it all ripped out. Since it is ripped out I continued on to the wall with large windows and did a lot of drywall repair and filled millions of nail holes where there used to be pictures hanging. I removed all the baseboard and will replace that.

In my original vision for the hangar, I didn't want any white-no white walls and no white baseboard. But after agonizing over a colors for a month and not finding anything that would look good on huge blank wall, I caved in a went with white.

I now have freshly painted walls and today I ordered new cabinets from Home Depot. The walls are white, and the cabinets, baseboard, and window trim will be light grey. It will look nice, clean, and subtle.

To top it off, I have some super nice accent pieces which I will reveal shortly! I have a buddy who makes very nice tiki bars and together we are going to make a 9 foot bar in the shape of an aircraft carrier. The top will be painted just like the deck of a carrier, and the base will be a deep blue that will just POP with the white walls and grey trim. I think it's going to look awesome.

Check back soon as I will continue to update this thread until the project is complete.

By the way, do you have a cool hang out area in your hangar? If you do, start a thread and lets see it. Part of the fun of aviation to me is just hanging out in the hangar with some good friends and talking airplanes and flying. I'm excited to get this finished and host my next hangar party!
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin
    Price's Airpark, Linden, MI (9G2)
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer

I thought I would post an update to the hangar remodel. I think it's coming along really nicely, but Home Depot is holding up progress. I'm ready to mount the countertop and then work on the backsplash but they said the countertop takes 5-7 weeks to get! It's been about 10 days so I still have a while to go.

Here's the kitchen area so far...

I had to return the upper cabinet that goes on the other side of the window since it arrived damaged. So now I'm waiting on that too. I also have to put on the crown molding on the top of both of them.

I'm excited to finally get started on this big blank white wall. I got one piece of brick paneling installed before I had to leave for work for a few days...

I got up early today and got started with the rest of it. As you can see I still need about two more feet of brick on the left side, but I didn't buy enough sheets. I wanted to go get more today but it's been raining all day and I can't bring it home in the rain. Maybe tomorrow...

But here it is so far-I'm really happy with it. It looks so much better than the bare wall right? Note that the brick is a lot redder than the two pics show below. I'm not sure why they look brown in the pics, but you can see the color in the pic above...

Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin

I even have air support should I need it!

Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin

Looking good!!
    Scott
    Student at KFLV
    Wanna-be builder

I no longer needed the 12' long workbench I used to build the wings and fuselage so I cut it down to 8' x 2' and painted it black. I used the same tops and just cut them to size. I like it better painted black because it matches the black cabinet and workbench on the adjacent wall. I'm going to replace the plug receptacle with a black one.

I made this fun sticker with a top view of the Cruzer. I figure it fits well on the workbench since it's used to build something...fun!

I cut it out of grey vinyl so it matches the black and grey cabinet.

The hangar is really starting to take shape. The new radiant heater has been on the last few days and it works great. With a large room or hangar one really needs a ceiling fan pulling heat up and circulating the air. I have a ceiling fan in the hangar but it's not reversible. So I had to order a new fan. I think the heater will be more efficient and not kick on so much once the new fan is installed.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin

Here's an updated pic of the brick wall. Notice I've added the conduit. There's no wires actually running in the conduit-it's only there to enhance the industrial look of the wall. It also serves another purpose-it is placed right over the seem of the 4'x8' sheets of brick and helps hide the seem. I also have the plug to the TV zip tied to it so it hides the plug too!

Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin

I finished this new workbench yesterday. I added a shelf to hold the radio, moved the large picture up about one foot, changed the white plug and light switch to black, and added the little sign. Now it's on to replacing all the hangar lights with LED's...

This entire corner is done now! (oops wait-it's all done except the baseboard!)
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin