Thread: One Problem After Another...

One Problem After Another...

So the other day I finally riveted the glareshield. That's actually a big step. Things are a lot less accessible now. But I did run the engine and everything seems to be indicating properly and working fine.

With the glareshield riveted, I thought I could really start making progress by getting the front windshield mounted. But, things have slowed down. The top ends of my windshield have a curve or bulge molded into them which prevents them from sitting on the spar.

Here's another picture showing the top ends...

The only way to get that to lay flat on the spar is to cut away the part that curves down, but if I trimmed that much away, I'd have a huge gap on the top corners.

So the next day I figured instead of wasting a day not getting anything done, why not open up the flaperons and get those built?

I spent all day edge finishing, rounding corners, and deburring. Once it was all done, I riveted the frames together and slipped them into the skins. There are four pieces total (each flaperon has what you could think of as a flap and an aileron.

The manual states to cleco the bottom ribs to the skin, and then flip it over and cleco the top.

Well, the bottom holes lined up great and the clecos went right in. When I flipped it over, this is what the top looks like...

The rib holes aren't even close to lining up.So now I have to wait for replacement ribs.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin
    Price's Airpark, Linden, MI (9G2)
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer

Sorry to hear of your frustrations Mark - I do hope that Zenith makes it right with either the technical support needed or new parts if required.
    Scott
    Student at KFLV
    Wanna-be builder

Scott I will say that when ever I do have an issue, Zenith solves it fast. I've always said that their customer support is amazing. I spoke with Roger on the phone today he indicated I could use a heat gun to flatten the bulges in the windshield. I actually did this before speaking with him as this really is the only way to fix that issue.

He volunteered to send me all new flaperons, but I really don't think I need new flaperons-just new ribs if they've fixed the issue with the location of the holes. So he is sending out the ribs today. I'll install them and see if they work. If they do then I can rivet the flaperons together and they will be done. If the new ribs don't work, then he will send me the rest of the updated parts.

So yes once again Zenith makes things right, and in all fairness, they indicated that I have an early kit and most of these issues that I bring up have indeed been updated in newer kits.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin
    Price's Airpark, Linden, MI (9G2)
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer

Great news! So your plane will be done.....Saturday? lol
    Scott
    Student at KFLV
    Wanna-be builder