Thread: New custom UL Power fuel pump manifold

New custom UL Power fuel pump manifold

One of the problems that I ran into with using braided steel and 3/8" aluminum fuel lines is that the UL Power system is designed for rubber hose fuel lines. The problem with rubber hose fuel lines, is that eventually they need replaced. In 5 years from now I don't want to be ripping into the wings and fuselage to change fuel lines, so I went with much better permanent fuel lines.

The fuel connection point on the UL Power fuel pumps is designed for a hose. In the picture below, you can see a blue hose attached to the inlet, and that hose was just used for my first engine start.

Here is the fix for my airplane so that I can connect a braided steel line to the intake manifold. This fix is not my design. A gentleman on this forum made one of these blocks for himself and also made me one. I won't give a name because I'm sure he doesn't want a bunch of e-mails from people asking for one, but I very much appreciate him making this block for me.

When I received the block, it was a solid squared off rectangle and I modified it to cut as much of it away as possible to save weight. I sliced off about 1/16" from each side, and about 1/8" from the ends. Then I cut the corners off and sanded curves on the edges. It's actually very light now.

In the pic below, I'm holding it up to the manifold so you can see how it attaches. I just have to cut the clamps on the two vertical hoses, remove the one piece manifold, and then insert the new one and put new clamps around it.

I think this will work perfectly, and without this new block, I'm not sure how else one would attach real fuel lines to the stock manifold. I would suspect that any local machine shop can make on of these if you just provide some simple measurements.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin
    Price's Airpark, Linden, MI (9G2)
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer

I ran into the same issue and I tried to solve the problem with standard parts. I found the solution by using a 3x 3/8" Tee, two 1/2" hose - 3/8 NPT elbows and a AN6 - 3/8" NPT fitting. See photo. The distance between the two hose fittings matches the center distance between the fuel filters correctly.ANfittings.jpg
    Last edited by Jan van't Schip; 01-26-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Very nice! And that looks to be lighter than mine also. Very creative.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin
    Price's Airpark, Linden, MI (9G2)
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer