Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windshield Fairing

Today I removed the peel-ply and sanded the fairing with 60 grit to remove the slight humps where the fiberglass layers overlap. Then I used this Icing to coat the fairing...

Using a sanding block (a hard sponge actually) I will sand this layer off and since I put this on fairly thin, I'll probably need another coat of it.

What this Icing does is coat the entire fairing so that once it's sanded off it will stay in the low spots. This is how you get a nice even smooth finish.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin
    Price's Airpark, Linden, MI (9G2)
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer

The fairing is done! Today I added a few more layers of Icing and sanded it smooth. Once I was done with the Icing, I cleaned the fairing with compressed air, and then alcohol on a rag. To figure out where to trim the fairing, I laid out a piece of masking tape on the workbench and cut about 3/16" off the entire length. I took that thin piece of tape and stuck it to the center of the fairing...

Then I used a fabric measuring tape and measured one inch on both sides of the tape...

I just made some marks one inch from the tape every 3-4 inches and the connected the marks into a line...

Finally, I broke the fairing free from the airplane!

This shows the fairing before any trimming.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin

Here it is after trimming, and back on the airplane. Man it fits just perfectly.

I still may need to slightly sand or trim around the edges of the fairing, but right now it's very difficult to see if the edges are smooth and even just because of all the different colors of the fairing. The next step with the fairing is to prime it with a filler primer. So once it's all grey in primer, I can sand the edges again if needed.

I'm going to wait to trim the aft edge because I'm not sure exactly how the doors will fit yet. So once I get the doors mounted, then I can come back and trim the aft edge of the fairing...

I don't log build time, but I'm guessing this fairing took anywhere from 30-40 hours to make.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin

@ Zenithowner.com :

This is really nice work. I have also followed other similar work on the another website that was documenting the build of a VANS RV14.

Your work matches any of the excellent results the VANS folks have been able to roll out. The RV14 is a work of beauty as is your Zenith.The canopy fit looks super.

I have a question. Does the Zenith kit allow the canopy to be placed in a more or less set and forget process, or was a lot of ginger adjustment needed prior to the fiberglass fairing construction ?