Thread: Busted, or about to be, busted bungee! :(

Busted, or about to be, busted bungee! :(

FYI,

Zen bungees don't like OIL! I dripped some on there during my last oil filter change. My oil filter is pretty much right above it and when unscrewing the old filter some oil got on the pilot side of the bungee. I looked online on the Spruce site and the Q&A section for the bungees said oil was bad for them, but didn't think it would be this bad! I ordered a new bungee and kept an eye out in the meantime on my "oily" one. Problem is that my oil access cover in the cowl is on the passenger side so I couldn't see the bungee too well and about 2 weeks later I noticed the nose gear was very easy to steer (unusual in a Zen) and the suspension seems mushier... Here's what it looked like when I checked it after...

The outer cord was GONE!!! When I cut it off, the olfa knife went through it like butter. Tested on the other side and the knife would barely scratch the cords! Changing it was another nightmare...

I bought the "Bungee" install tool, doesn't work on a build with a Lycoming! Just too tight. So if you have any heavy engine most likely it won't work for you... just too much stuff in the way.

Removed the gear leg, you can see there was no rubbing anywhere in the channel. Only place it's rubbing is on the gear leg, where the paint is coming off, but the bungee was not touching anything sharp.

Here's where it rubs on the leg, but that does not damage the bungee.

ALSO!!! Beware of using the "ratchet" method of installing the bungee. Here you can see the damage it did to my cross-tube. Since it's so tight in there, I couldn't get my ratchet all the way up to let the bungee slide off and a buddy of mine had to push it off. Holding it at a weird angle most likely let is slide cockeyed and jammed the socket drive end at an angle. Must be a lot of force because I've never seen 4130 steel deform like that! Luckily it's not affecting the bungee. I will be removing the bungee next spring and installing the Viking steel bungee instead then I can dress out the tube damage.

My advice, if you have more room to play with in here, then the bungee should be fine, but with a motor closer to the firewall, this job SUCKED big time and I don't want to have to do it again. If you have to do this with a ratchet, then I suggest finding a socket that will fit over the cross-tube. It will be fun popping the socket off after the bungee is on, but should be less damaging to the tube.

Wow that's a good tip. I'm not sure how it will be with the UL Power, but I'll have to remember in the future to cover the bungee for oil changes.
    Mark Pensenstadler
    Site Admin
    Price's Airpark, Linden, MI (9G2)
    S-10 | S-6S | RV-7 | Cherokee 160 | Zenith Cruzer

Viking steel bungee here we come!!